Friday, September 7, 2007

The Gerber Baby



So the last couple of days have had some happenings that needed to reach the general public.

1. Two blocks from where we live is the beginning of Harlem. Now two blocks may not seem like a long ways to you-but these two blocks separate two worlds. Where I live is incredibly safe-but it is very close to projects and the heart of Harlem. Unfortunately that is the only place Bank of America exists in this area. So Steven and I took a stroll down there together pushing our son (which might I add I will NEVER do on my own), and we were one of 3 white people I saw in the entire 45 minute walk. Not once or twice, but three times I had very kind young (and older) women stop me to talk about my son. Each first promptly exclaimed at his chubbiness and asked what I was feeding him. To which I responded, "breast milk," and they exclaim, "Of course, cuz no formula fed baby's gonna look like that!" They then proceeded to tell me that he looked just like the Gerber Baby! Now....no one has ever told me this. I wondered if it was because he was white and chubby-because 3 women told me this in one afternoon! So I have included a poll on the homepage so you can give us your opinion.


2. I have had the typical NYC experience-the one joked about on Friends and the local double decker buses. That's right guys-the ugly naked guy. From where I feed Steven, I can see across to another dorm. And naturally as I sit doing nothing (as talking on the phone or reading seems to distract him and make the process much longer) my eyes begin to wander out the window. Well this particular night my neighbor failed to pull his blinds as he was getting out of the shower. I yelled and made Steven come look so I didn't feel like I was seeing or doing something bad. We had a nice laugh over it.


Last night we went to the boat house in central park to have a social for Steven's program. It was a very nice wine and cheese party in a "must visit". It was right on the water and had boats to rent. We had a great time-but ironically ended up hanging out with the people we already knew. I was able to meet a couple of his professors and they were super nice and asked me to stop by the school as often as I could. Everyone was a fan of our little guy and it was a nice Central Park stroll. I have included a picture of the boathouse at the top of the blog. Unfortunately the other mothers with children left before I was able to get out the camera. We also went by the gym today and I was able to get a very cheap membership-so Steven is going to come home and watch little Steven during his afternoon nap so I can find time to get out and get some exercise. We figured this would be a must during the winter months.

3 comments:

Teena said...

Hey,
I cannot believe that I have figured this out by myself! Thanks for all the info. It makes me feel as if I am there with you.
Glad to know that things are going well.
Love,
Teena

Rob And Son said...

Steven is much more adorable then the Gerber baby! So glad you guys are here in NYC, it really feels like having family. Thanks for joining us last night at church, and letting me snuggle your little guy!

Cousin Frank said...

I love your Blog. I remember the first time I went to NYC and got off the highway exit and ended up in Harlem. A guy with a spay bottle and rag tried to wash my windshield for a dollar. That was many years ago and quite a shock for a country boy like me. It can be a wonderful yet scary place to be but a wonderful experience. It will give you a memorable chapter in your life story. Maybe next summer you can come back and go camping with us a buggs island again.