Sunday, December 2, 2007

Snooooooowwwww!!!



When I wake up in the morning and it's snowing, I feel like a little girl on Christmas morning full of anticipation! I can barely contain myself, so I run to wake my husband (who is not quite so excited as me) and we sit with warm drinks and watch the snow fall. Our view is beautiful from our French doors and for the first time this winter the snow is actually sticking. The streets have the quietness that only snow can bring and there are very few people out and about (because obviously New Yorkers are not quite as stoked about the snow as I am....actually I'm not even sure the kids are as excited about the snow as I am). I promptly call my mother to tell her it's snowing. I'm not sure why I do this; it is simply part of a routine that I must go through when I see snow falling from the sky. She is excited...and then eventually I call my friend Clare. Because she is from Texas and may actually feel the same excitement I do.





Unfortunately my son has to take his morning nap, so I venture out with all the older kids for fun in the snow on the sidewalk. My husband is not too disappointed to have to stay in the warm apartment with our little sleeper. My eager attitude and grown men tugging a box down a hill with four kids on it are probably both huge signs to those walking by us that we are new to the city. But we don't care. We just keep on playing. What a fun morning before church we had.





Luckily we got it all out before our walk to church - so at least our church friends thought we were remotely cool about the snow. I kept my excitement inside and they never knew about my second-base slide down the sidewalk that was so much fun. After church it seemed to be colder and all the fun had melted with some of the snow. Slowly I found myself slipping into a city mentality...where it was just cold and wet and I wanted to get home quickly. I even wished I had on tall rain boots. Man how quickly we conform.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Great post and pics! I love the snow, too....from the inside of my nice, warm apartment :)

beth

Jeff and Maria said...

Snow-how fun! Kate's great grandmother Mary (who lives in NY) called this morning to see if Kate could come out to play with her in the snow. Grandma Mary just turned 80 and is still excited about the first snowfall of the year, so for some it never gets old. Your little boy is too cute! I'm glad he didn't get sick over Thanksgiving-Kate battled the virus last week. I hope you can continue to enjoy the winter weather.
Love-
Maria

The Usserys said...

I love snow, too, and would freak out if I saw any. Mostly because I'm in SC and it's going to be 70 today. Ridiculous. Enjoy it for us!