Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A day of adultness!

Yesterday was a day of adult interaction for me! In the morning we had a mom's morning out in honor of our friend Sarah who is having her 3rd child and therefore heading back to Raleigh for the second semester. So we decided to ask the dads to watch the kids and we went out together. We started with pedicures and manicures and ended by eating a nice lunch at a Thai place on Amsterdam.


Here's Sarah! Man, we're gonna miss her and her family here in our dorm.




Then when I got back Steven and I went on our second date (without our son) since we've been here. Here we are on Columbia's campus that has been decorated with Christmas lights. Picture Steven humoring me as I ask some random person to take our picture.

We had tickets to see the Messiah at Carnegie Hall!

It was amazing and beautiful. My favorite by far was the choir; it had 200 singers! The second act contained some of my favorite parts, and shockingly, some of the best lines and most moving music were things I'd never heard before. It was very long, and I'm sad to report that many of the people there simply seemed to be filling a Christmas cultural tradition instead of hearing the amazing worship that it was created to be. We were actually sitting behind a Jewish couple. I sat there and listened to the beautiful piece and prayed that some of the people singing it would think through the verses for the fist time. But either way, we had a great time and really enjoyed discussing why he choose the verses he chose and why he put them in specific places being sung by the specific parts.


And then to say one last Christmas goodbye to NYC, we swung by the Rockefeller tree on the way home. I must say it was a better sight at night and NOT on a Saturday. We were actually able to move on the sidewalk - at 11 pm on a Tuesday the crowd wasn't that bad. It was pretty-I guess it has just been hyped up so much that I expected it to make or break my Christmas-and it didn't do that.


All in all we had an amazing day and tomorrow we head home for the holidays. So Merry Christmas to everyone who has read this far (and to the others too I suppose) and I'm sure we'll post some pictures of family and friends over the month we're gone!

Here are some of little Steven Edward before you go.

3 comments:

The Cornwalls said...

Looks like fun!
Can't wait to see you in 2 days!!

Love you!
Tiff

Beth said...

I was fun, wasn't it?

beth

Anonymous said...

Court!

Welcome to the wonderful world of MOTHERHOOD!!!! Now you know what your Mother went thru.
Nanny