Saturday, October 20, 2007

Care Packages!


So far one of the best things about living in a married student dorm is the care packages! It feels just like college again! You get a package you aren't expecting and you open it like it's Christmas....never knowing what you'll find inside. Especially when you're related to my family. You find the sweetest, most thoughtful, and possibly the most random items. But somehow it makes me proud to be related to them. It is like a whole 'nother love language that Gary Chapman left off....care packages. Mary Lou and Bonnie are experts in this 6th love language. Above is a picture taken of my Nanny's most recent package (Mary Lou)-and to avoid any missing items I have also included an itemized list. This arrived after a 30 minute conversation with her about our attempt at budgeting and how the grocery budget is where we're trying to save. Then less than a week later I'm opening a 24.4 pound package with.........

1 jar of honey
1 pack of bazooka bubble gum
1 bottle of olive oil
1 bottle of caramel coffee flavoring (man she's good!)
2 fudge brownie mix packets
apple pie filling
2 cans of tomato soup
1 can of green chili peppers
1 jar of jalapeƱos
1 jar of capers
1 jar of mushrooms
1 jar of roasted peppers
4 packets of chai mix
1 box of fig bars
1 box of key lime pie mix
3 cans of chicken (white meat only)
3 cans of salmon
4 cans of tuna (albacore even!)
1 can of collards
1 pack of pumpkin peeps (which were consumed before the picture was taken)
1 corn cob "ripper" (if you don't know what a ripper is...like me before reading the back of this gadget-[which my Nanny is the queen of kitchen gadgets...she even owns the Richard Simmons Steamer...and you thought he peaked at sweating to the 60s] it takes the kernels off the cob in a quick and easy manner)

This package arrived 4 days after my mother sent a package including 2 candy necklaces, (love the middle school memories!) 2 packs of onesies, (especially for the coming cold weather) 6 ranch packets, 2 boxes of oregon chai, baby emery boards, and various muffin tins...which was what I asked her to send so I could make my own version of Magnolia Cupcakes!

I LOVE MY FAMILY!

Do not read this as a manipulative attempt to get others to send groceries as well-this is simply a celebration of the way the women in my mother's family love!

4 comments:

The Usserys said...

Courtney-So happy to see y'all (thought you might be missing that expression) doing well and enjoying NYC. Steven Jr. is such an adorable baby! Aren't boys fun? Hope all continues to go well with you three! Oh, and I could totally relate to the stroller envy that you have. I'm currently envious of the 2007 BOB Duallie Revolution. I can't believe I just typed that. Sounds like Ralphie from 'The Christmas Story' pining for that BB gun. Take care!

The Cornwalls said...

Got to love those care packages!! I got one myself this week! Always nice to have the mail man walk up to your door with a package!!

Rob And Son said...

Looks like you guys might be set for a while! That is one heck of a family you have there! Whenever you guys can head out our way we can have a nice, non-beef meal!

Hope all is well...

Unknown said...

Items given from love-ones offer a double reward: they satisfy a need(want) and warm your heart.

Love you,

Dad