Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Ticker Tape Parade







In honor of the Giants Superbowl victory a ticker tape parade was held in Lower Manhattan on Broadway. We decided to face the crowds and be a part of the madness....well....we didn't see much. In fact I saw more on my camera after the parade than I actually saw during the parade. I am a little too short to see much in such situations. Especially when the entire crowd stands on their toes and holds their cameras above their heads! When they actually came to our area the crowd much have grown a couple inches!

Here is a close up from a video that I got while the float with Eli Manning and the trophy made their way past us.....if you look closely you can see the trophy and Eli is supposedly (according to my husband who had to watch on TV because of classes) wearing a dark shirt/sweatshirt/jacket of some type.



Here is an actual picture of Eli...taken by my friend Colleen who is a good 6 inches taller than me...man when it comes to pictures and kitchen cabinets you guys really have an advantage!

And this is a video of the actual ticker tape coming down. If you're like me you may be asking, "what is ticker tape?" Well it is the paper that updates come through on Wall Street on. So they shred it and use it as confetti! This is a very old tradition. We were standing just off Broadway about 50 yards from Wall Street!

4 comments:

The Cornwalls said...

Sounds like fun... you can kind of see something!
We saw the parade on TV... and I was like "My sister was there!"

Kathleen Moore said...

I was definitely wondering what ticker tape was and almost asked the people in the room until I got to the end of that post...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. What a great week for a birthday in NYC!

Jeff and Maria said...

All I can say is that Jeff is really jealous that you were there. He is a huge Giants fan and we were very excited about the Super Bowl. Kate even wore her Giants pajamas during the game which are really too small for her now, but we couldn't take the chance on luck. We think its awesome that you were there. Happy belated birthday!